Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Other Housing Options

Due to the lack of social housing in not only Castle Point, but across the whole of the UK, it is always best to consider what other housing options may be suitable for you rather than relying of social accommodation. Whether you are considering moving out of your parents, to needing a bigger home for your growing family or looking for your retirement home, there are lot of different options available.


Private Rented.

You could consider private renting a property or a room in house. You can look for private rents via the following websites as well as contacting local letting agents.

You can also search in local newspapers, Facebook or ask friends and family if their landlords are looking for new tenants.

If you are unsure what you could afford in rent, it's worth completing a benefit entitlement calculation to see if you would get any help with your rent and to make sure you are claiming all the benefit you are entitled to. You can do this on the entitled to website

Generally you would need one month's deposit and one month's rent up front.

Affordable Home Ownership.

Shared Ownership.
Dream of owning your own home? Well with shared ownership you may be able to. With the part rent part buy option, you only need as little as 5% deposit for the proportion you will own.  For more information click here .

Help to Buy Loan
With a Help to Buy: Equity Loan the government lends you up to 20% (40% if you’re in London) of the cost of your newly built home. You pay a deposit of 5% or more and arrange a mortgage of 25% or more to make up the rest. You won’t be charged interest on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home. further details click here

Retirement Living.

As well as the councils sheltered housing schemes you could also consider anchor housing association. Anchor have properties nationally and accept from 55 years of age. For more information on their schemes and properties click here

Fleeing Violence.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, we can provide legal advice around your rights to a property, help applying for legal order, and refer you for further support.  

For further information see: or 0330 333 7 444

•if you are a woman fleeing domestic abuse you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247
•if you ae a man experiencing domestic abuse you can call either the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327 or ManKind on 01823 334244
•if you are in an abusive LGBT+ relationship, you can call the National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 999 5428
•if your personal safety is threatened or you are at risk of assault or injury, you should call the police on 999.

Please note that the Council will have a duty provide emergency housing to everyone fleeing domestic abuse. However, if you do approach the Council you will always be provided with advice and support whether that be in person or by phone. In many cases, you and your family will be safer if you approach a refuge, where you will also receive advice and support.

Other housing advice information is available on the Council's main website

At risk of becoming homeless?

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within 56 days, it is very important to seek advice as soon as possible. You should complete the enquiry form here. On completion of the form our Housing Options Team will contact you within 5 working days.

For out of hours emergencies call 0800 833 162.

Preventing homelessness

The Homelessness Reduction Act came into force on 3rd April 2018. This means we have a statutory duty to prevent homelessness where we can by offering a range of services to help you to stay in your current home, including help with mortgage advice, tenancy matters or relationship breakdown. If staying in your current home isn't an option, we can help you find alternatives.